[birding] Possibly 2 intergrade flickers at Corvallis Hospital

Stephen Shunk steve at paradisebirding.com
Sat Oct 24 08:09:46 PDT 2015

Greetings, Flicker Watchers,
On the subject of intergrade flickers, I'll try to be brief, but you have
touched on one of my favorite subjects!

First of all, in case you have not read my article on this subject from
Birding Magazine, you can access it at this link to my web site
<http://www.paradisebirding.com/Paradise%20Birding%20PDFs/steve%20shunk%20publications/PuzzlingFlickersIntrogression-Article.pdf>.
In answer to one of Evan's closing questions, I agree with Joel that
aberrant plumage traits typically occur bilaterally. I have seen flickers
with a mix of yellow- and red-shafted flight feathers, as well as those
with a blended orangish color overall. I have also seen many intergrade
flickers with mixed red and black in their malar stripes. However, I can't
recall seeing any flickers with different color mixes on each side, or say,
one red and one black malar stripe. I would expect this to be somewhat
unusual, but further study may prove differently. This would take going to
a natural history museum and looking at the trays of intergrades.

On the second question, the actual number of intergrade flickers is hugely
underestimated by casual birders. Anyone who doesn't really care too much
can just call them all Northern Flickers. Beyond this, it is much easier to
diagnose an obvious intergrade than it is to diagnose a "pure" Yellow- or
Red-shafted individual. To take it one step further, it may be impossible
to pin an ID on any of these birds, other than just Northern Flicker. The
traits that show evidence of mixed parentage can be extremely subtle. That
is, you could get excellent looks at a bird that appears to be a "pure"
Red-shafted without seeing a few brown feathers in the throat or a few red
feathers in the nape.

Back to the obvious intergrades. Some researchers have said that there are
no "pure" flickers breeding in BC, and most of these birds migrate south
for winter, possibly coming into or passing through Oregon. Closer to home,
the only major study to have been done on flicker introgression in our
region (by Lester Short, about 50 years ago) showed that as many as HALF of
all our breeding flickers in WA and OR show signs of introgression. This
study examined museum specimens, allowing Short to see every detail on the
birds. Seeing them with binoculars (especially in funky light) or even
getting a couple photos often does not do the trick.

The general number of intergrades in Oregon definitely swells with migrant
northern birds in winter. Flickers often migrate in loose groups--some of
them possible sibling groups--so it is very possible to see multiple
intergrades at once. But consider this: up to half of our own flickers may
be intergrades + many if not most of our breeding flickers do not migrate +
influx of many intergrades form the north = most of the flickers in Oregon
in winter may be intergrades, so finding multiple intergrades at once may
be the rule and not the exception (as Jim elucidates).

I hope that helps. I also hope you don't mind a little self-promotion here,
but a project I have been working on *forever* has finally come to
fruition. In May 2016, my Peterson Reference Guide to Woodpeckers of North
America will be on the bookshelves. You can even preorder it at Amazon
<http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Reference-Woodpeckers-America-Guides/dp/0618739955/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1444929167&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=peterson+woodpeckers&linkCode=sl1&tag=christineelde-20&linkId=159300d19d8009f5ceef6b6c62a5002d>.
If you buy 10, you will have 9 holiday presents covered for the next year!
If you buy 20, I will take you to a fancy dinner.

Anyway, happy flickering!
Steve Shunk

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*Join Steve at the Nature Travel Network
<http://naturetravelnetwork.com/> for the best in global nature travel
resources!*

"Like" our Facebook pages at Paradise Birding
<https://www.facebook.com/ParadiseBirding?pnref=lhc> and Nature Travel
Network <https://www.facebook.com/naturetravelnet?pnref=lhc>.

Stephen Shunk, Paradise Birding
P.O. Box 547  Sisters, OR 97759