[birding] Polk mountains - Townsend's Solitaire

Brandon Wagner bmwboarder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:51:29 PDT 2015

Hey Joel and all,

Just a few notes about access in the Polk county part of the coast range.
The fire season is still in effect in that area, so lands owned by Hancock
Forestry are still closed.  That  includes Bald Mountain and the road into
Valsetz as well.  Weyerhaeuser just opened up their properties on Saturday,
so you can drive up Black Rock rd outside of Falls City.  It sounds like it
is open all week, but I'm not sure if they would still be logging during
the week or not.  Anyways, this gets you access to Fanno Peak, Riley Peak
and Sugarloaf Mountain, all of which are above 3000'.

PS:  I did see a Townsend's Solitaire up near Fanno Peak on Saturday, Oct
17th.  Near there I also saw a grouse that flew away too quickly to nail
down an id.  Besides the clearcuts, there are some neat areas up in those
mountains.  The west side of Fanno Peak was my favorite spot I saw on
Saturday.  No mountain chickadees that I saw, but there is a lot of land up
there!

Cheers!
Brandon Wagner
Independence