[birding] Baskett Slough area recently

kolwicz at minetfiber.com kolwicz at minetfiber.com
Mon Oct 19 14:35:45 PDT 2015

Around the private pond where I recently reported 60 Great Egrets' night
roost and 33 Wood Ducks, today there were a Merlin and a Sharp-shinned
Hawk occupying the upper reaches of a dead fir, about 5 feet apart. They
were coming and going for more than 1/2 hour and one time the
Sharp-shinned made a couple of casual passes at the Merlin, which barely
moved to parry.

This is the second time for both hawks in that spot (separately) in the
last couple of days and there was a Peregrine Falcon in that tree a couple
of days ago, too.

The Merlin was confirmed from photos by a knowledgeable birder; I just
made a  blind guess from looking at Sibley.

Frank
in Monmouth

BTW: there's a Black Phoebe there, too.