[birding] Re: testing an hypothesis #2

Karan Fairchild alderspr at peak.org
Thu Oct 15 09:35:14 PDT 2015

>From the west side of the Willamette Valley trough, I’d concur that southward crane migrations most often don’t transit the Coast Range side of the valley.  Our long-passed neighbor fondly  recalled them passing directly over (4 mi. due east of Marys Peak) in his 70 year residence, but we’ve rarely seen or heard them here.  Hearing is the better  detection method, and then consider the valley fog.

Recently back from Summer Lake, we were surprised how many cranes we could hear, gaining elevation above us on Government Harvey Pass Road on a clear day.  The few we did see would vault out of view in only a minute, though they could still be clearly heard.  Marvelous birds!

Jim Fairchild

6 mi. SW Philomath, Benton County