[birding] Sounds like Saw-whet owl

Lisa Millbank millbank.lisa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 18:55:28 PDT 2015

Hi Frank,

If it isn't actually an owl or some other bird, it might be a Townsend's
Chipmunk.  Here's an old video of one making a couple of different calls;
the second call type is a little bit owl-like: https://youtu.be/kkGHFxEh3Ig

As far as owls go, Northern Pygmy-Owls are far more likely to call during
the day than Northern Saw-whets.  I don't think I've ever heard a saw-whet
during daylight hours, so that might help narrow down some of the
possibilities.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com