[birding] Merlin and FOY White-throated Sparrow

Judith Paul jupa2006 at msn.com
Sat Oct 10 19:22:02 PDT 2015

We watched a Merlin plucking its catch at the top of an oak tree snag
outside our kitchen window on Oct. 6.  Couldn't tell what unfortunate
songbird it was, but it appeared to be small- to medium-sized.  Also had two
pairs of Purple Finches at our feeders that day, and the Golden-crowned
Sparrows keep increasing in number.  American Goldfinches and Lesser
Goldfinches still making an appearance.

Today, Oct. 10, we had our FOY White-throated Sparrow gleaning seeds under
some blackberry bushes along with Golden-crowned Sparrows.

Judith and Jerry Paul
Highland Dell area