[birding] Fwd: Jefferson Park, Mt. Jefferson Wilderness (mostly Marion Co.)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Oct 6 05:28:43 PDT 2015

From: "Phil Pickering" <philliplc at charter.net>
Subject: [obol] Jefferson Park 10/4
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:17:56 -0700

Yesterday (10/4) I hiked in from the Whitewater Creek trailhead and
spent over 3 hours crisscrossing Jefferson Park. I did not detect any
really interesting migrants, but a few species were present in
significant numbers. It was very windy on the way up and during the
first hour there which didn't help, gradually calming in the late
morning and afternoon.

- Evening Grosbeak - hundreds in numerous small southbound flocks flying
over throughout the day
- American Robin - numerous southbound
- Mountain Chickadee - at least a few hundreds spread around the Park
area in small groups. They did not appear to be on the move quickly,
although when the flocks flew they were trending S/SE. I don't know what
would be a normal concentration here, but guessing the density at least
in part reflects the same influx that has sent multiple stragglers to
the lowlands.

Also saw/heard in the Park -

1 Merlin
1 Sharp-shinned
1 imm. Bald Eagle
1 Red-tailed Hawk
- several southbound Northern Flicker
- 20ish Clark's Nutcracker
- only 1 Chestnut-backed Chickadee, plus a few more near the trailhead
5+ Townsend's Solitaire
- a few Varied Thrush
- only a handful of Yellow-rumps, the only Warbler species detected.
- Golden-crowned Sparrow, small numbers
in the Park and along trail on the way up
- only occasional small flocks of Siskins and Crossbills not amounting
to many

I visited all the lakes and did not see any waterbirds.

http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP01.jpg
http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP02.jpg
http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP03.jpg
http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP04.jpg