[birding] 33 Wood Ducks

Mitch Rohse mitchrohse at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 20:37:28 PDT 2015

Here are three places for getting good photos of wood ducks:
(1) The blind at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area north of Corvallis.
(2) Lithia Park in Ashland. The wood ducks in the ponds at Lithia Park are so habituated to humans that I was able to approach within 20 feet of them a few weeks ago. The males were in full regalia.
(3) The duck pond at Parking Lot #1 in Minto-Brown Park, Salem. The wood ducks there tend to congregate on the far side of the pond, so you'll need a telephoto lens. You might also capture a few shots from the footbridge over Oxbow Slough (once we get some water back in the slough).

Mitch Rohse