[birding] Tangent eagle roost question

Jeff Fleischer raptorrunner97321 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 06:50:26 PST 2015

Hi Everyone,
In response to Viviane's request for directions to the Bald Eagle night roost here in Linn County a few miles west of Tangent, I have attached the directions that will work for anyone coming from any direction.  It is a great place to view large numbers of these birds and the numbers will only get bigger (if past experience continues) as we get into February.  As mentioned, please honor the fact that all land east of the viewing site is private and should not be trespassed on, the owners keep a keen eye out.
Jeff FleischerAlbany

"Here are the directions for 3 different approaches to the roost site.  Coming from the north you would take I-5 to Hwy 34, head west on 34 to Hwy 99, turn south onto Hwy 99 towards Tangent then turn west/right onto Lake Creek Dr.  Take Lake Creek Dr west for several miles until you come to the Calapooia River which you can not miss.  Immediately after crossing the bridge, turn left/south on McLagan Rd and go about a mile to its intersection with Seward Dr where the parking area is located.  Coming from the south, you would use Hwy 99 and turn left/west onto Bell Plain Rd which you would travel a couple miles until it intersects with McLagan where you would then turn right/north and drive until you get to the intersection with Seward Dr and the parking area.  Coming from the west/Corvallis, take Hwy 34 and turn south onto Oakville Rd.  Take that a few miles until it connects with Tangent Dr which you would turn left/east on.  Go about half a mile, cross over a railroad track and then turn south/right onto Country Rd.  After you drive through a 90 degree turn heading east, the road turns into Seward Dr and you take that east until it connects with McLagan Rd and the parking area.
The roost observation area is a small road pulloff area at the intersection of McLagan Rd and Seward Dr and the roost itself is about half a mile to the east of the parking area.  There is enough room for 4 or 5 parked cars.  There is also a mailbox in the parking area on a post, be careful not to run into it :)  The roost is a large grove of cottonwood trees along the river and in order to view the birds you need at least a pair of binoculars or better yet a spotting scope if you have one.  All of the area east of McLagan Rd towards the roost site is private property.  There is a dirt road/driveway that extends east from the parking area and it is posted as private property and should be honored.  There is no other closer vantage point for this roost than this parking area.  Best viewing is done from about half an hour before sunset until dark when birds are already in the roost and more are flying in from all directions."

I've received several inquiries for directions to the eagle roost. Fairly
recently, someone posted an excellent cover-all-the-bases description of
the site and its constraints, but I can't find it. Would whoever-wrote-it
please re-post? Thank you, Viviane

--
Wisdom consists of the anticipation of consequences ~Norman Cousins