[birding] Valley of the Giants

Brandon Wagner bmwboarder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:41:36 PDT 2014

Hey friends,

This last weekend I went on a little camping excursion to Valley of the
Giants with my family.  It was great to get to walk around in all the huge
old growth trees.  Truly a wonderful place.

We listened for Marbled Murrelets from about 7pm-9:30pm.  And again in the
morning from 5am-7am.  No luck either time.  There were RED CROSSBILLS
audible almost continuously there.  Also had one COMMON NIGHTHAWK as we
were getting into our tent nearby.  Although we missed the murrelets, it
was neat to sit and listen to all the birds.  Amazing how many SWAINSON'S
THRUSHES there were, and PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS.  A few VARIED THRUSHES
as well.  The Pacific-slope flycatchers started calling around 4:30am, and
I think I last heard one at about 10:00pm.

On the way back home, Andrea spotted one AMERICAN DIPPER along the Siletz
River.

Valley of the Giants is at the very west end of Polk County (west of Falls
City), way out in the coast range.  If any of you would like to go there, I
would suggest getting a good map.  Google maps won't get you there, and
there is no cell service for quite a ways.  I would probably also only go
on the weekends so as to avoid logging trucks.  But definitely worth the
drive.

Cheers,
Brandon Wagner
Independence