[birding] More Townsend's Warbler moments: OSU campus

Don Boucher bouchdon at peak.org
Thu Jan 16 13:42:16 PST 2014

Hello,

On Tuesday I while looking out the window from my desk, I saw a Townsend's
Warbler flycatching from a nearby juniper tree.

Today, Townsend's Warblers have been in mixed chickadee/junco flocks and
foraging in shrubs, low branches and the ground. I got some really close
looks at their electric yellow head stripes.

It pays to learn their thin call notes. It usually takes me about a minute
of listening to distinguish it from similar notes made by kinglets and
chickadees. I see a lot more if I track them down by sound.

On Campus, they like the trees around Waldo Hall, Langton Hall and
especially on the south side of the Native American Longhouse.

-Don Boucher
Corvallis