[birding] McDonald Forest Gray Jays

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Jan 13 13:31:24 PST 2014

Hi all,

For this morning's dog walk, Heidi and I went to McDonald Forest by way
of Adair Wildlife Area in Adair Village (where an adult RED-SHOULDERED
HAWK was perched on a bare snag on the little island in the pond, and an
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD was doing display dives). We walked up Road 543 which
turns into the Bonzai Trail, then comes out on Road 560.

At the bottom of Road 543, we came across a large chickadee-kinglet
flock which included a pair of HUTTON'S VIREOS.

Near where Road 543 narrows into a mountain bike trail, a group of four
GRAY JAYS were silently foraging at the ends of Douglas-fir boughs,
occasionally making slow glides from one tree to another. It was fun to
watch Gray Jays just quietly going about their business.

Coming back the same way, I noticed lots of Pileated Woodpecker
excavations in trees in a swampy area along Road 540, just past the
junction with Road 543. That area was alive with BUSHTITS, both
BLACK-CAPPED and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES,
and PACIFIC and BEWICK'S WRENS.

On the way back home, I heard a few WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHES in the
various exotic pines and Oregon oaks of "downtown" Adair Village, and
watched a flock of 10 MOURNING DOVES that were coming down to water. As
we got back to the south end of Adair Frontage Road, about 12 EURASIAN
COLLARED DOVES flew out of a single small pine tree.

The Hutton's Vireos, Gray Jays, and Eurasian Collared-Doves brought my
"motorless" year list to 80 bird species. Heidi added DOUGLAS SQUIRREL
(CHICKAREE) to her year list of small mammals that she's convinced that
she could've caught, if only I'd let her chase them.