[birding] Airlie-Albany CBC count-week Merlin

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Jan 2 17:25:25 PST 2014

Hi all,

Well, that was the best I could do on today's dog walk. The female
MERLIN which has been hanging around E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area
headquarters was there again this afternoon, when Heidi and I made our
way back from a hike up Coffin Butte.

As the Airlie-Albany CBC on is just three days away on Sunday, January
5th, this ensures that we'll record a Merlin at least as a "count-week"
bird.

Usually someone manages to find a Merlin on count day, but we've come
close to getting skunked in years past, so best to be safe. This bird
has made a habit of perching in late afternoon on the tree right next to
the headquarters entrance, off Camp Adair Rd., so it might well be there
to greet counters as they straggle in at the end of the day.

If you're birding north of Corvallis in the next few days -- anywhere
from Lewisburg to Elkins Rd. -- or around Albany, North Albany, or even
the SW corner of Ankeny NWR -- you might be able to contribute a few
count-week birds. Unfortunately Charlotte's "pet" Yellow-throated
Warbler will probably end up just a mile outside of the count circle,
but we can always hope that it might decide to wander around the
neighborhood a bit on Sunday!