[birding] A welcome flash of RUFOUS (Corvallis)

Hendrik Herlyn hhactitis at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 19:14:28 PST 2013

Howdy folks,

While concluding this spring-like day with a late-afternoon bike ride down Campus Way Bikepath in Corvallis, I was buzzed by my first male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD of the season. It hovered in front of some low bushes across from the little wetland at the Irish Bend Covered Bridge, then zipped directly past my head and up towards the tops of the trees along Oak Creek, where it briefly perched before flying out of sight.

The only phoebe in attendance was the resident BLACK PHOEBE, this time calling again from the Alpaca barns southwest of the wetland.

And in non-birding news, a rather carefree COYOTE was prowling the field directly west of the wetland, being watched and commented on by numerous passing hikers, joggers and bicyclists.

Still looking for those TVs and Violet-green Swallows ...

Happy (almost) Spring Birding

Hendrik