[birding] Bicycle Birding: Black Phoebe & rough-winged swallows

Don Boucher bouchdon at peak.org
Sun Jun 23 16:06:58 PDT 2013

Hello,

Bicycle Birding report, Sunday, June 23
Audubon Society of Corvallis

8 of us enjoyed a mild morning with a couple light showers. Fair-weather
bicyclists missed out today ;-). We had some good birds.

We started on the forest path near the Fischer Ln parking area. At the
popular dog swimming area nearby, we watched a pair of BELTED
KINGFISHERS (male and female) chase each other around and display. There
were many YELLOW WARBLERS singing high in the cottonwoods but only a
couple were spotted. Many CEDAR WAXWINGS were flycatching over the
river.  A couple SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were on the riverbank nearby. Later,
after listening to a SWAINSON'S THRUSH sing in the understory
vegetation, we heard the sudden alarm calls of nearby birds. A COOPER'S
HAWK came flying toward us, low to the ground. The hawk approached me
from behind before I had a chance to see the bird. The other birders who
witnessed it said it flew about a foot over my head. I only saw a shadow
pass over me.

Overlooking the river at south part of the park (Goodnight Ave vicinity)
we watched an OSPREY perched in shallow water, either just finishing a
bath or having missed a fish, before flying off. On the far side of the
channel, we watched a couple NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS enter a nest
hole in the undercut bank.

At the Taylor Water Treatment Plant, there was a BLACK PHOEBE. We
continued along the bike path southward. In an open area we got good
looks a LAZULI BUNTING singing. Near the end of the path, on a channel
of Kiger Island, there were two WOOD DUCKS.

--
Don Boucher