[birding] Santiam BBS route quick totals

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sat Jun 22 15:51:36 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Thanks to Linda Fink for letting me know that we were supposed to be
doing a Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) route this morning, not a Christmas
Bird Count (CBC). I guess I got the solstices mixed up. Thank goodness
that I won't have to send the regional CBC compiler rare bird reports
for 99 Swainson's Thrushes, all without photo documentation!

Anyway here are the quick totals from what turns out to be my 10th year
of running this survey. The route starts on BLM land but much of it runs
through private industrial timberland. Some of the stop descriptions
that I wrote down in 2004 are no longer very useful, as former clearcuts
have grown into 10-year-old stands of "reprod," while some areas that
used to be well-shaded "mature timber" with WINTER -- er, PACIFIC WRENS
under every clump of ferns are now stump-n-slash pastures hosting HOUSE
WRENS instead.

WILLOW FLYCATCHERS and LAZULI BUNTINGS continue to increase their
numbers in some of the younger reprod areas. For comparison, in 2004 I
found just 3 Willow Flycatchers and no Lazuli Buntings on this route
(they weren't even on the data sheet, having been found on only one of
the five previous counts). Today I had several stops where several
Willow Flycatchers were calling from seemingly all sides.

Some other numbers in here seem a little strange, but might be flukes of
the time/conditions of the survey.

We noticed on the drive up yesterday afternoon that AMERICAN ROBINS were
abundant just about everywhere along the forest roads, but this morning
I only heard a few in the first half of the route. If we added in all
the ones that we saw yesterday afternoon, in places where they weren't
singing this morning, the total would be over 100.