[birding] Crabtree Lake, western Cascades, on the solstice

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sat Jun 22 13:58:41 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Last evening Martha and I did our annual father-daughter visit to
Crabtree Lake in the western Cascades, prior to running the Santiam CBC
this morning.

As usual the quiet setting of this lake set in old-growth Douglas-fir,
cedar and hemlock forest, with fascinating plant communities on the rock
outcrops, and an evening chorus of SWAINSON'S, VARIED, and HERMIT
THRUSHES all singing back & forth at the same time, was reward enough in
itself.

A few VAUX'S SWIFTS were around as usual, but we didn't hear any COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS except for one booming in the distance during the next
morning's count.

An OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER stationed himself on a high snag right above
our campsite, and regaled us with his "pip-pip" calls (he seemed to
stick with just two syllables instead of three most of the time) and
"McMINNville!" (which some authorities claim is "quick THREE beers!,"
but I've come to prefer the mnemonic that Pam & Randy Comeleo coined).

While checking out the wildflowers on the outcrops around the lake, we
noticed some waterfowl on the wetland far below (Waterdog Meadow).
Eventually we bushwhacked close enough to the edge of the meadow that we
could figure out what they were: HOODED MERGANSERS (snuggling up for the
night on a big rock, possibly with young), a female MALLARD with nearly
full-sized ducklings which were feeding independently of her most of the
time, and a PIED-BILLED GREBE.

I'll post a bit more on the wildflowers on the Mid-Valley Nature list
once I get around to downloading the photos (mostly taken by Martha)
from the camera, but for now here's the bird list for the area right
around the lake and meadow.