[birding] Horned Larks, Red-eyed Vireo, Bullock's Oriole last Thursday

Lisa Millbank lisaaves at peak.org
Sun Jun 9 22:20:29 PDT 2013

I'd meant to post a couple of quick things from a ride I took around
E.E. Wilson and then over to Luckiamute State Natural Area on Thursday
(6/6).

As I slowly rode along all of the north-south roads in the NW part of
E.E. Wilson, I heard 4 different YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS singing.
Considering we heard 2 males in the SE part about a week before, it
seems that there's a decent number of chats in the area this year. I
also heard a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE over on the NE side, which took me by
surprise-- at first, I thought it was just another chat making some
crazy sounds.  I enjoyed some close looks at PIED-BILLED GREBES from a
blind along one of the wetlands.

I headed over to Luckiamute State Natural Area and took the trail toward
the river confluence/campground area, enjoying the chorus of dozens of
SWAINSON'S THRUSHES and BAND-TAILED PIGEONS.  I did hear the RED-EYED
VIREO, although from quite a distance.

After turning onto Springhill from Buena Vista, I saw someone applying a
small amount of a chemical treatment to a field of low-growing plants.
At the same time, I heard at least 2 HORNED LARKS singing in the
field.   Hopefully, this won't affect the larks too much, and I have to
wonder if the harvesting will be done when there are still eggs or
nestlings on the ground.  Sure would be nice if some of the farmed
fields at LSNA could be restored to low vegetation with patches of bare
ground (maybe bare patches created by dried vernal pools) where the
larks would be able to nest in relative safety.  I thought about the new
Wetland Reserve Program properties along Riverside Drive in Linn Co.,
and wondered if they could someday provide lark habitat as the shallow
vernal wetlands there recede.

I thought I'd count buntings along the way, for some reason. Despite
lots of traffic noise that may have caused me to miss some singers, and
a hot afternoon that probably quieted them, I heard 18 LAZULI BUNTINGS
over approximately 50 miles of riding.  For more about plants, insects,
etc., and some pictures, please see
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/YGnylQoHFDA/GmA2Klw9hHwJ

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com