[birding] Re: Red-eyed Vireos

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Jun 9 21:59:23 PDT 2013

Hi Tyler, Will, & all,

With regard to Luckiamute State Natural Area and Grand Island, this is
not really a range expansion, though it's always encouraging to see an
uptick in the numbers. Red-eyed Vireos have been found fairly regularly
at these locations since at least 1998. There are also past records of
multiple REVIs from Tom Lund's survey of the Luckiamute confluence back
in the 1970s.

The species is far from "common" in our area but can regularly be found
in small numbers by searching preferred habitat, such as LSNA, Grand
Island, and Simpson Park. Some suitable places such as the cottonwood
forests along the Santiam River near Jefferson don't get reported on
every year. Some Red-eyed Vireos might well get written off as Cassin's
Vireo by birders who aren't thinking about this species as a possibility
(considering that a lot of the maps in birding guides don't show them in
our region).

I agree with Will's suggestion that it's a good idea to share reports of
this species, including diet, habitat use, and nesting. The more we're
aware of recent detections, the more we're all likely to pay more
attention and listen/watch for uncommon species with specialized habitat
needs such as Red-eyed Vireo.

And as a bonus, while listening for Red-eyed Vireos in this habitat,
you'll be in the right place for hearing a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, which
would certainly be an exciting find from a bird conservation standpoint.