[birding] American Bitterns and Wilson's Phalaropes at Ankeny NWR

Tim Johnson tim.the.fisherman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 16:26:08 PDT 2013

Hi all:

During today's (Sunday, 6/9) Salem Audubon Field Trip at Ankeny NWR, we saw
3 *American Bittern *flying together over Peregrine Marsh.  The Bitterns
were observed from the Eagle Marsh Overlook, which is located off of Ankeny
Hill Road.  Later, we saw 2 and maybe 3 Bittern from out along the levy
west of the Eagle Marsh parking lot.  These may have been the same birds we
saw earlier at the overlook.  It was hard to say for sure.

At Pintail Marsh, at the same location we have recently observed Red-necked
Phalaropes, Black-necked Stilts and Spotted Sandpipers, today we found
4 *Wilson's
Phalaropes*.  The Phalaropes were seen from the levy around 1/2 mile west
of the Pintail Marsh parking lot.

A complete list of today's birds follows.

The next field trip for Barbara and me will be at Minto-Brown Island Park,
on Wednesday, June 19, starting at 7:30 am at parking lot #3 (at the end of
the road into the park).  We will cover the south end of the park in search
of warblers, creepers, nuthatches, flycatchers and other woodland birds.
We will walk around 5 miles, finishing up at around 1 pm.  Join us if you
can.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR

Salem Audubon Field Trip Checklist Summary for Sunday, Jun 09 2013

Number of Checklists: 6
Number of Species: 55

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh Overlook
(2): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh
(3): Ankeny NWR Pintail Boardwalk
(4): Las Brisas Farm, Buena Vista Rd, Jefferson OR
(5): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh
(6): Ankeny NWR--corner of Ankeny Hill and Buena Vista Rds

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) -- (5)
Gadwall -- (2)
Mallard -- (2)
Blue-winged Teal -- (2)