[birding] Grand Island - Saturday: R-e Vireo, B Phoebe

Paul T. Sullivan paultsullivan at onlinenw.com
Sat Jun 8 17:24:48 PDT 2013

Folks,

Today we visited Grand Island in SE Yamhill county.  Turn east at the Grand
Island store off Hwy 221.

1st location - the trail through the cottonwood forest on state park land
>From the 4-way intersection on the island turn south for 1+ mile to a white
gate.  Park on the right side of the road and follow the trail SW toward the
river through the cottonwood forest:

We found:
 1 Downy Woodpecker
  2 W Wood Pewee
4+ RED-EYED VIREOS
 1  Black-capped Chickadee
 1  Bewick's Wren
 1  Pacific Wren
6   Swainson's Thrushes
8+ Robins
2  Black-headed Grosbeaks

2nd location: purposely vague (sorry)
We heard a constant begging from hawks in a cottonwood tree.  We located a
nest with downy white nestlings that were calling continuously.  We did not
see adults present, but wondered if they might be RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS.
We'll check back in a few days to see if we can identify the species.

3rd location: swale on the NW end of Grand Island Loop Rd., just east of
Lower Grand Island Rd.  This is 0.25 mi N of the 4-way intersection
We found a BLACK PHOEBE on a metal fencepost near a bit of water in the
swale north of the bridge.  Last year we found a Black Phoebe just south of
the same bridge under the cottonwoods.  We wonder if they may be nesting
under the bridge.  We'll try to follow up on this as well.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville