[birding] Bird class field trip report

Don Boucher bouchdon at peak.org
Sat Jun 8 14:32:35 PDT 2013

Hello,

For the Audubon Society of Corvallis' Birding by Ear class, we had a
field trip at Finley Wildlife Refuge this Saturday. We visited the
Prairie Overlook, Turtle Flats and Woodpecker Loop.

At the Prairie Overlook, notable species were WESTERN MEADOWLARK, LAZULI
BUNTING, WESTERN KINGBIRD and SAVANNAH SPARROW. COMMON YELLOWTHROATS
were, common. Two students arrived a little late and saw male NORTHERN
HARRIER during the drive in on Finley Refuge Road.

At the Woodpecker Loop parking area we briefly heard a WRENTIT sing. We
covered parts of the trail that traveled through meadows and oak savanna
but also passed through some forest. There were plenty more buntings and
yellowthroats. Some notable species were BANNED-TAILED PIGEON,
PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, WARBLING VIREO, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER,
WILSON'S WARBLER, BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, CHESTNUT & BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEES, HOUSE WREN, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, RED-TAILED HAWK, AMERICAN
KESTREL. We got to compare the songs of WESTERN TANAGERS & BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAKS with that of the similar sounding AMERICAN ROBIN.

We listened to common species like BEWICK'S WREN, SPOTTED TOWHEE & SONG
SPARROW.

-- Don Boucher