[birding] Black-necked Stilts at Ankeny NWR Pintail Marsh

Tim Johnson tim.the.fisherman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 14:40:02 PDT 2013

Hi all:

This morning, Barbara and I scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our
Salem Audubon field trip on Sunday (June 9).  We found a pair of *Black-necked
Stilts *at the west edge of Pintail Marsh.  This is a first-time siting of
this species for us at Ankeny.  We observed the Stilts from the levy,
around a 1/2 mile west of the Pintail Marsh parking lot.  I don't believe
it is possible to see the Stilts from the parking lot, at least not where
they were located this morning.  For those who participated in our May
field trip at Ankeny, this is very nearly the same location we observed the
Red-necked Phalaropes.  Also of interest, we saw four *Blue-winged Teal* on
Ankeny's Mohoff Pond.  A complete list of this morning's birds follows.
This Sunday's Salem Audubon field trip at Ankeny will begin 8:00 am at the
usual place, i.e. the overlook parking lot off of Ankeny Hill Road.  We
will carpool from there around the refuge, concentrating on Pintail and
Eagle Marshes.  We will be walking around 3 miles into the interior of the
refuge.  We will also stop at Las Brisas Farm to see 7 Barn Owl owlets and
Bullock's Oriole nest.  Join us if you can.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR
Number of Species: 54

Checklists included in this summary: