[birding] RE: Low-tech RBA: White-faced Ibis in Baskett Slough area

Brandon Wagner bmwboarder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:34:48 PDT 2013

Joel, your id skills for identifying the local subspecies of Brandon was
right on!

Photo of 6 of the 7 White-faced Ibis at Coville Rd. Conservation Wetland
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagnerlife/8971882479/

Cheers!
Brandon Wagner
Independence

Hi all,

This morning around 7:45 when I got back to my vehicle along Coville Rd.
after walking some transects, I found a note on the window from Brandon
Wagner that said "7 WHITE-FACED IBIS across from Firesteed entrance on
Hwy 99W." (*)

I checked that wetland after I finished up around 10:30, and didn't see
the ibis flock. Perhaps they'll turn up at one of the other wetlands
around the Baskett Slough area -- such as the Coville Rd. "narrows" or
perhaps one of the wetlands along Livermore Rd. north of BSNWR. Anyway
it was fun for me to see a pair of Black-necked Stilts strutting around
in the shallow water.

By the way, some folks have been wondering what to call this wetland, so
I asked the folks who are responsible for this project. They requested
that we use the name "Coville Rd. Conservation Wetland."

(*) To be more accurate, the note didn't have the bird name in capitals
and also it just said "Brandon." But there aren't too many other
Brandons who would (1) recognize my vehicle and (2) be prowling around
Baskett Slough looking at birds at that hour of the morning. Well, I
guess Brandon Green could have wandered north from Eugene for the day,
but I'm going with an ID based on range & likelihood here. ;-).