[birding] More Grasshopper Sparrows in Baskett Slough NWR and vicinity

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Jun 6 12:22:44 PDT 2013

Hi again,

This morning I found a male Grasshopper Sparrow singing on a private
conservation easement undergoing prairie restoration east of Baskett
Slough NWR.

Also, I re-found one that Bob Altman found in restoration area on the
refuge a couple of weeks ago, still singing in the same patch. When I
came back to check on him later, I flushed a second Grasshopper Sparrow
(presumably a female) which flew to the same perch as the male and sat
there for about 20-30 seconds before dropping back down into the grass.

Unfortunately, both of these sightings were pretty far from the roads &
refuge trails, so it's unlikely that these birds could be detected from
accessible areas. However it seems like a positive development that more
Grasshopper Sparrows are finding this habitat, and perhaps even nesting.