[birding] Willow Flycatchers "singing" all at once

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Jun 5 15:25:41 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Willow Flycatchers are usually our last regular yard bird to show up
each spring. I was starting to wonder where they were, but this
afternoon suddenly there are three of them "singing" on the brushy
hillside above our house, giving lots of their trademark "FITZ-bew"
phrases.

One of them got gave a couple of phrases that sounded a bit like an
Alder Flycatcher's "rrrr-BEE-a" call (kind of like a phoebe with a
Russian accent), but I think it could have been the "chur-weeoo" call
that Sibley mentions for Willow Flycatcher. Anyway, I don't have good
enough sound-recording equipment to go down that road.

Now time to hope for a Common Nighthawk as the last "somewhat
likely" (not quite regular) spring migrant to find our yard. The best
way to look for nighthawks, of course, is by sitting on a lawn chair in
the evening with beverage in hand.