[birding] Jackson-Frazier chat, class field trip

Lisa Millbank lisaaves at peak.org
Sat Jun 1 23:13:11 PDT 2013

The Birding by Ear class visited Jackson-Frazier Wetland in Corvallis
today.  The entire route of the boardwalk was full of birds, many
singing nearby.  Before and after the field trip, there was a distant
YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT singing in the distance, toward Hwy 99.  He may
have been in part of the Owens Farm area.

While there were really no other surprising finds, we all enjoyed seeing
GREEN HERONS flew over the area multiple times.  A few VIRGINIA RAILS
were calling, and of course, everyone enjoyed good looks at singing
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS and MARSH WRENS.  We got brief looks at some of
the many singing YELLOW WARBLERS.  We saw a CEDAR WAXWING carrying nest
material, and watched an adult female begging like a fledgling (part of
their courtship).  I was surprised that we didn't find a single Western
Wood-Pewee or a Willow Flycatcher.

For more about plants & insects, please see
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/zRwp1r9Z6Gc/XP1muiUgPlMJ.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com