[birding] Finley NWR Short-eared Owls, Snow Goose

Hendrik Herlyn hhactitis at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 31 18:08:47 PST 2013

Howdy folks,

Quite literally at the last minute, Oscar and I managed to finally add our most persistent nemesis bird to our 2013 yearlist - with only minutes of daylight to spare, 4 SHORT-EARED OWLS left their roost site along Bruce Road and put on a wonderful aerial display for us against a stunning sunset backdrop!

While waiting for the owls to appear, we were treated to the spectacular sight of more than 10,000 Cackling Geese streaming north over McFadden Marsh, where they went down to roost.

On the way out, we spotted a white goose at the McFadden Marsh bridge - although it was almost too dark to see anything, I got enough details on the bill (plus the size comparison with a bunch of nearby Cacklers) to surmise that it was likely a SNOW GOOSE. Nice way to end the year!

A Happy New Year to you all, and great birding in 2014!

Hendrik and Oscar