[birding] Red Phalarope PPP

pamao at q.com pamao at q.com
Sun Aug 25 19:27:27 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I stopped in at the Philomath Sewage Ponds today at 4:30 - 5pm. In the northeast pond, there were 11 phalaropes. One stood out as larger, with a
thicker bill, and still showing some breeding plumage. I considered if it could be a Red Phalarope with all others the more expected Red-necked.
I have attached some photos that include some of the Red-necked Phalaropes for size and bill comparisons. Note the red coloring still showing on
the bird's undertail coverts. I am pretty convinced its a Red Phalarope but welcome comments and opinions.

Also of note, there were 10 Baird's Sandpipers feeding on the green algal mat in the south pond.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orbirdsandtrails_160/sets/72157635237147408/

Happy birding,

Pam