[birding] Willamette rafting trip

Lisa Millbank lisaaves at peak.org
Sun Aug 18 22:21:01 PDT 2013

I took a raft trip from Corvallis to Independence 8/11-8/14.  While
there were no really unexpected birds, I found a few interesting ones,
including a family of YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS on an island near
Independence, at least one PEREGRINE FALCON, and COMMON NIGHTHAWKS at 2
locations.

If you would like to read the full account and see some pictures, please
use the following links:
8/11
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/NvZBeLZ4kkE/zsNovwZtZ3YJ>,
8/12
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/DAbHA3WAboA/Y1hC762yL9sJ>,
8/13
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/9rQVJ_V-wJU/wX0bIUWRFFgJ>,
8/14
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/7va-Q6oThI0/8-whBiaHKpsJ>

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

81 species
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Common Merganser
California Quail
Double-crested Cormorant (1, a bit early to be back from the coast)
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk (2 families, not a very common breeder in lowlands)
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk (near Calapooia River mouth)
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Barn Owl
Western Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owl
Common Nighthawk (Luckiamute State Natural Area and Judson Rocks)
Vaux's Swift
Anna's Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Acorn Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon (multiple sightings but likely 1 or 2 individuals)
Western Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher (just 1 about 4 miles past Albany)
Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Hutton's Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Willamette Bluffs)
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
Wrentit
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat (family on Judson Rocks, island about 2 miles NW of
Ankeny NWR)
Western Tanager
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow