[birding] Downslope warbler movement?

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Aug 15 17:46:29 PDT 2013

Hi all,

This morning a troupe of about five BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS and
four or five HERMIT WARBLERS came through our yard, gleaning insects
from the cherry & hawthorn trees along our south property boundary. Most
of them were first-fall birds.

We rarely see Hermit Warblers here so those ones, at least, must have
shown up from somewhere else (possibly a family from the tall
Douglas-firs up the ridge where we occasionally hear them singing in
spring/summer).

I've also been hearing a WILSON'S WARBLER singing, and a few
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS have been coming around when I water the garden
in the morning.