[birding] Vaux's Swifts at old-growth site in western Cascades (Crabtree Lake)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Aug 14 20:51:53 PDT 2013

Hi all,

During a family visit today to Crabtree Lake (western Cascades of Linn
County, elevation 4000-some feet), we noticed that the sky was full of
VAUX'S SWIFTS. Hard to give a good estimate of numbers since our window
on the sky was limited, but I'd guess 30 to 50 swifts were feeding
overhead at 1:30 PM when we arrived.

This site has some nice old-growth Douglas-fir, hemlock and red-cedar
forest (including some of the oldest trees in Oregon, possibly around
1000 years old), with quite a few tall snags that could provide natural
nesting sites for Vaux's Swifts. So these could be locally nesting birds
rather than a migrant flock.

Otherwise bird activity was scant in the warm afternoon temperatures
(will post the full list on birdnotes.net but probably not until
tomorrow -- nothing too exciting other than the swifts). A group of
about 8 people young & old (from Oregon and Texas!) were using the lake
for paddling about in inflatable rafts and generally playing in the
water when we got there. A couple of MYSTERY DUCKS (Mallards or teal?)
were dabbling on Waterdog Marsh below the lake, too distant for me to
identify with binoculars.

Camp Adair are north of Corvallis