[birding] Finley NWr Willet, Red-shouldered Hawks, etc.

Hendrik Herlyn hhactitis at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 11:11:10 PDT 2013

Hello folks,

Jenna Curtis, Oscar Harper and I headed down to Finley NWR this morning. Overall, things were rather quiet, but we did find a few good birds. Here are some of our highlights:

At Cabell Marsh, we found a number of shorebirds, including one cooperative WILLET, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and a small group of peeps, including ca. 20 LEAST, 5-6 WESTERN and 1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. There were 10 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS on the marsh, and at least 5 AMERICAN BITTERNS scattered along the edge. A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK perched on a snag directly above one of the bitterns. Ducks on the marsh included a couple of HOODED MERGANSER families, a lone RING-NECKED DUCK and an early AMERICAN WIGEON.

Along Bruce Road, we encountered 2 additional RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, and a third bird was calling at McFadden Marsh. A PEREGRINE FALCON made an unsuccessful swoop at the 1000+ assorted swallows over McFadden Marsh, causing quite a stir in the air!

A fun morning, and nice to bird under cool cloud cover for a change. Fall is just around the corner ....

Happy birding

Hendrik