[birding] Salem Audubon Field Trip to Ankeny NWR, Wednesday, August 7

Tim Johnson tim.the.fisherman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:16:22 PDT 2013

Hi all:

It was a beautiful summer day at Ankeny NWR yesterday, so nice that we
found it very hard to leave.

Highlights included:

   - An adult Virgina Rail and four chicks at Pintail Marsh (seen on the
   mud flats around 75 paces west of the parking lot gate).  We watched
   the very small, black puff balls follow mom (presumably) around for around
   a half hour.  They were too cute. A couple photos were taken. See link
   below.
   - 4 members of the Adeidae family, and the "heron grand slam" for our
   area
      - Great Blue Heron (seen at Pintail, Eagle and Teal Marsh)
      - Green Heron (adult and juvenile seen at Teal Marsh)
      - Great Egret (a dozen seen at Teal Marsh)
      - American Bittern (3 seen at Eagle Marsh, and as many as 6 seen
      recently)
   - 2 Peregrine Falcon hunting at Eagle Marsh
   - As often happens, we spend much time studying the peeps at Pintail
   Marsh, trying to turn one of the most likely Least Sandpipers into
   something more interesting, without a definitive conclusion.  There appears
   to be a lot of variation in the LESA plumage, size. bill shape and size, as
   they migrate through the refuge this time of year, creating
   much speculation, excitement and careful study.
   - The water is receding very quickly at Pintail Marsh and Mohoff Pond.
   It appears that these marshes will soon be dried up completely.
   However, there is still quite a bit of water at Eagle, Teal and Willow
   Marshes, enough to hopefully keep shorebirds stopping over for the rest of
   the summer.

Photos of the Virginia Rail and Green Heron juveniles can be seen at --
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxze5kl0ynfe5dc/S8B57KoZFI.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR

Number of Checklists: 3