[birding] Minto Brown Island City Park, Nov 28, 2012

Tim Johnson tim.the.fisherman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:11:04 PST 2012

Hi all,

Jon Hazen joined Barbara and me this morning at Minto-Brown Island Park in
Salem.  I think the threat of rain may have kept some Salem birders away,
however the weather was quite agreeable.  With the Salem Christmas Bird
Count scheduled for December 15, we used today's bird walk as a scouting
trip.  We walked 5 miles in the southern portion of the park, scouting for
woodland birds.  We found lots of chickadees, nuthatches, creepers,
kinglets, woodpeckers, wrens, and raptors, but no warblers or thrushes.
Hopefully they will start showing up soon.

The bird of the day for us was the Dusky Canada Goose, of which we found
179, 8 with red neck bands.  Most were concentrated in the large oxbow
which latterly divides the island park, and near the arched bridge that
spans the oxbow. Surprisingly, after finding so many Pine Siskin last week,
we found none this week.  The Willamette River water level is still very
high, so we were not able to bird the river. A list of today's birds
follows.

Speaking of the Christmas Bird Count, an upcoming Oregon Field Guide on OPB
contains a segment on the Christmas Bird Count.  Showings are scheduled for
Thursday, 11/29 at 8:30pm, Sunday, 12/2 at 1:30am and Sunday, 12/2 at
6:30pm.

Our next scheduled bird walk at Minto-Brown is the first day of count week
for the Salem CBC, on Wednesday, December 12, starting at 7:30am at parking
lot #3.  Join us if you can to celebrate the beginning of this year's Salem
CBC.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR

Minto Brown Island City Park, Marion, US-OR
Nov 28, 2012 7:31 AM - 12:43 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
33 species (+1 other taxa)

Cackling Goose  490  most were seen flying overhead and appeared to be
minima
Canada Goose  2
Canada Goose (occidentalis/fulva)  179
Wood Duck  4