[birding] Marsh bird call

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Jun 7 14:55:19 PDT 2012

And now that everyone's thinking more about Pied-billed Grebe calls ...

If you happen to be wandering through nice bottomland riparian forest in
the next month or so, and hear something that sounds similar to that
"cow-cow-cow" sound coming from the trees, it's good to think about
Yellow-billed Cuckoos! The last mid-valley sighting was at E.E. Wilson
Wildlife Area on July 3, 2000, by then-manager, Dave Budeau, north of
headquarters near the Canal Pond. The calls of Pied-billed Grebes made
quite an impression on me that day when I went over to try to relocate
the bird, since they sound quite a bit like cuckoos.

Yellow-billed Cuckoos are considered to be extirpated as breeders in the
Willamette Valley, but once every 5 or 10 years a stray shows up,
raising hopes that they might someday return to nest as more bottomland
habitat is restored.