[birding] Vaux's Swifts as yard birds (finally!)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Jun 3 17:46:35 PDT 2012

Hi all,

After yesterday's outing, today I relaxed by catching up on yard work.
While spading up part of the garden to prepare for our last plantings of
sweet corn and green beans, I heard a squeaking sound overhead and
looked up to see three VAUX'S SWIFTS careening through the sky.

Finally! I was starting to wonder if we'd see any over our yard this
year.  Migrants seem to have bypassed us, so I'm guessing that these are
birds that have found a suitable hollow tree or chimney for nesting in
the neighborhood.

Every time I see these birds zipping around in the sky, I'm reminded of
Roger Tory Peterson's description of them as "cigars with wings." Even
if the artwork in Sibley's guides is more precise and the National
Geographic guides are the second favorite for most birders nowadays,
neither quite matches up to Peterson's guide books for evocative
one-line descriptions that really stick with you.