[birding] Question

David Irons llsdirons at msn.com
Wed Mar 3 23:49:10 PST 2010

Tristen et al.,

I don't know at what point in the Spring they abandon this area (perhaps they don't), but the new wetland area along Diamond Hill Rd. (about one mile e. of I-5 at the Harrisburg exit) has a communal roost of Short-eared Owls and Northern Harriers. Just before dark on 26 December 2009, Shawneen Finnegan and I had five Short-eared Owls and no fewer than 40 Northern Harriers flying around just east of the gravel lane that runs north from Diamond Hill Rd. at the easternmost pond in the complex. The owls came out of the roost just before dark and the harriers were coming in from all directions and going to roost at the same time.

Dave Irons
Eugene, OR