[birding] Yellow-breasted *and* Red-naped Sapsuckers at E.E. Wilson?

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Dec 19 16:20:54 PST 2010

Hi all,

Tim Rodenkirk from Coos Bay was out at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area on
Friday and saw what he was pretty sure was a RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER in the
area ENE of HQ, as well as the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER which was in its
semi-usual area near the residence just south of HQ. Below are the
description and directions that Tim sent me today.

Interpreting Tim's description of the place where he saw it, the
apparent Red-naped Sapsucker was around the start of the Nature Trail
that leads to the Angling Pond, north of the gamebird display pens and
the guest hosts' camping place-- first in the scruffy apple & maple
trees that are just east of the big old oak with the interpretive sign
about the former town of Wells(dale), then in the stand of tall
cottonwoods that are to the right-hand side in the first 50 yards of the
Nature Trail.

I went out there for a couple of hours this afternoon and wandered
around the vicinity in rain & drizzle, but didn't see or her any
sapsuckers at all. I did enjoy a flyover of a calling PILEATED
WOODPECKER toward the end of my vigil, plus a couple of Downies. Might
be worth checking back another day in better weather.

The sunflower patch by HQ was full of sparrows when the rain eased up as
I was heading home. A ratty-looking accipiter (a big sharpie I think,
but I was too focused on trying to figure out if it had more than a
half-dozen feathers on its right wing, than on the ID) had just flown
over and the response of the sparrow flock was to sit up on the
sunflowers. There was a junco or some type of sparrow on practically
every 3rd or 4th stem as I scanned back & forth -- probably 150 all
sitting up at once. I counted 3 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS in the bunch,
and picked out one female SLATE-COLORED JUNCO which is the first one
that I've seen locally. At least 100 Oregon Juncos, 40 Golden-crowneds,
a few Sooty Fox & Song, and one Lincoln's Sparrow, plus a single
Black-capped Chickadee that was somehow mixed up in the bunch.

P.S. These Coos Co. birders are getting to be a pain ;-) Last year Russ
Namitz came up here, spent half an hour birding, and told us there was
not just one, but two Spizella sparrows in that sparrow patch -- a
Clay-colored and a Chipping Sparrow. Now Mr. Rodenkirk tells us we have
two rare sapsuckers, not just one.