[birding] Upper Nestucca CBC -- quick take

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Dec 14 20:28:41 PST 2010

Hi all,

You'll want to wait for Don Albright's summary which will give the full
story, but here's my quick take on today's Upper Nestucca CBC:

We had wild weather as seems to be usual for this count. This time it
was thunder & lightning and hail that looked suspiciously like snow, and
occasionally was blowing close to horizontal, pretty much all day long,
and some very impressive flows roaring through rivers, streams, and
waterfalls. Rumor has it that a couple of teams saw the sun at some
point during the day, and one team even saw a rainbow. Not me, though. A
few trees came down across roads, but everyone came well prepared with
their favorite implements of destruction (axes, chainsaws, Pulaskis) so
it was no big deal. These people are veterans -- no one even had
death-defying story this year.

Linda Leavitt provided her customary countdown feast at her place on the
edge of the circle, where her feeder count of 3 GRAY JAYS turned out to
be the difference between a "notably high" count and a new count record
(provisional, of course, until Don works through the numbers).

In my sector which gets up to 3012 ft at Grindstone Mountain, Gray Jays
were the only species of jay that I saw all day. STELLER'S JAYS seem to
have vacated the higher elevations of the Coast Range; several others
who worked the higher-elevation sectors also reported no Steller's Jays.
I can't remember the last time I spent a full day in conifers and mixed
conifer-alder forest in Oregon, without seeing or hearing a single
Steller's Jay.