[birding] E.E. Wilson Solitary Sandpipers & Nashville Warbler, & phenology note

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Apr 19 13:53:20 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Just now (around 12:45) two SOLITARY SANDPIPERS were just north of E.E.
Wilson Wildlife Area headquarters, in the spot where the water runs over
the roadway. First time that I've ever seen Solitary Sandpipers walking
around in the middle of the road!

As I was watching one of them dismantle an earthworm that had the bad
luck to go floating by on the current, a male NASHVILLE WARBLER popped
up in the bushes just south of the road, sat there about 4 ft above the
ground for a few seconds, and even flashed his chestnut crown patch.

About the timing of the Bullock's Oriole that Michael Dossett reported,
it's only about a week early in comparison with Eugene & Portland area
phenologies, see:

http://birdingoregon.info/Phenology/tabid/221/Default.aspx