[birding] Re: Possible common black hawk

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Apr 15 18:56:08 PDT 2010

Hi Dave & All,

On these two questions:

> Begging the question...does anyone go by this intersection when they
> are on time, or better yet ahead of schedule, leaving time to stop and
> check out interesting raptors?

... definitely not me!!! And ...

> P.S. Has anyone out there gone to look for the hawk that started this
> thread?

... not me again, I had to file taxes!

But my first suggestion would be for someone to contact Richard Hoyer
Sr. and find out if any local falconers are flying a Common Black-Hawk.
He seems to know what's around. Also, he flies a Harris's Hawk (dark
bird, yellow cere), sometimes not far from Finley.

P.S. Speaking of taxes, large flocks of TAX'S SWIFTS (er, VAUX'S SWIFTS)
are now being seen in southern California and a few were even seen in
Montana yesterday. Keep an eye on the sky!