[birding] More nocturnal migrants -- Greater White-fronted Geese

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Fri Sep 25 07:08:02 PDT 2009

Hello folks,

This time it was a couple of young RACCOONS that woke me in the middle
of the night (or actually, the dog going crazy because of them). So I
went outside to listen for 10 minutes, 01:10 to 01:20 AM.

I didn't hear any Swainson's Thrushes going over this time, but I did
hear a flock of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flying over. They sounded
like they were lower than most of the flocks that fly over in the
daytime. I heard another flock through an open window, around 01:45 AM
just as I was getting back to sleep (after checking some computer
simulations that I had going overnight).

No sign of crossbills around here yesterday, so I still don't know what
that one mystery bird was from the night before.