[birding] been seeing cormorants + Swainson's Thrush survey

Joel Geier clearwater at peak.org
Wed Sep 16 18:29:14 PDT 2009

Hi Don & All,

Thanks for posting this. I think the "return of the cormorants to
Corvallis" is pretty cool, right up there with the return of the
swallows to San Capistrano. Soon there will be a couple of hundred
roosting around that little lake east of the Hwy 34 bridge, near
Stahlbusch Island.

Working the little bit that I have so far on the Corvallis-area fall
phenology, I've noticed that some of these events go under the radar,
I'm sorry to say, even during my tenure as field notes compiler.

Spring arrivals like Rufous Hummingbird are eagerly anticipated and tend
to be well reported, but it's not quite the same in fall, even for
relatively "cute" birds like Golden-crowned Sparrows. Maybe it's because
we're all a little ambivalent about the approaching cold & rainy season.

But there are some good birds to be found in the coming months, and
also, more evidence of the remarkable rhythms of the natural world.

Yesterday Alan McGie sent me some fall phenology data that he had put
together for the period 1984 through 1998. I've folded this along with
my more recent numbers (for a shorter period) into the "Birding
Calendar" at www.oregonbirds.org/calendar.html. Eventually I hope to
finish working through the years 1999 & 2004-2009 to make a complete
data set from 1984 through 2009. But in the meantime, it can be fun to
look at and, I hope, informative as to what birds to be looking for.

If you go to this calendar, you can also see that there is a SWAINSON'S
THRUSH SURVEY going on tonight. This was pulled together in a hurry so
please check it out. You can also go straight to
www.oregonbirds.org/swainsons_survey.html to find out more.

Happy listening!
Joel