[birding] Fall/winter migrant dates for the Corvallis area

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Sep 15 12:50:16 PDT 2009

Hi All,

This isn't quite ready for statewide announcement yet but I thought it
might be entertaining and perhaps even useful for mid-valley birders.

I've put together a fall & early winter migrant phenology for the
Corvallis area. So far this is based mainly on field notes from /The
Chat/ from Fall 2000 through Fall 2004 (counting this season as late
July through early January). This includes arrivals of true "wintering"
birds as well as fall transients like southbound shorebirds & warblers.
For species like Barrow's Goldeneye and Varied Thrush, I've tried to
mark the movement from the mountains to lower elevations.

Here's a link that displays the phenology in the form of a "birding
calendar":

http://www.oregonbirds.org/calendar.html

Note that the data support is still scant, so I wouldn't expect this to
be terribly accurate as a predictive tool for timing of fall migrants.
However, if nothing else, scanning this calendar might give you ideas on
birds to be thinking about, this time of year.