[birding] Speaking of weeds and bird habitat

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Fri Sep 11 12:38:16 PDT 2009

Hello folks,

The discussion of weeds and birds on OBOL reminds me that there is a
work party for one of the Willamette valley's best birding sites, Finley
NWR, scheduled for tomorrow.

When:  September 12th (at Finley NWR)
Time:  10am – 1pm           -Refuge Tour to Follow-
Bring: Hat, Sunscreen, Water, Smile, Gloves, Boots, Long Sleeved Shirt
Meet:  at Woodpecker Loop Parking Area

I know that many of you have been remembering former valley refuge
manager Rich Guadagno today, and some of you knew him better than I did.
One thing I remember is that he liked working on native habitat, and
taking out invasive weeds. It might be a nice tribute to all he did for
birders in the Willamette Valley, for a few of us to get out there and
pull some weeds tomorrow.

See you there, and bring your bins too.

Good birding,
Joel

P.S. There will be another work party at Ankeny NWR on October 17th. For
additional details please see:

http://www.fws.gov/WillametteValley/complex/index.html

And if you want to know a little more about Rich and one of the places
he worked on, see:

http://www.americantrails.org/nationalrecreationtrails/trailNRT/GuadagnoBaskett-OR.html