[birding] What's not around E.E. Wilson anymore

Joel Geier clearwater at peak.org
Wed Sep 2 15:56:10 PDT 2009

Hello again folks,

In the interest of reporting birds that aren't there (it just occurs to
me as I start writing here, that this could be an oblique reference to
David Fix's comments this morning, but no, that's not my intent):

Notably absent from E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area (going on two weeks now)
are LAZULI BUNTINGS and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS. My last detections of
the season are noted in www.birdnotes.net as August 15th (for both
species), but I notice that Erik Knight and Quinton Nice had detections
as much as a week later. Speaking of lazuli Buntings, did it seem to
anyone else that this was an "up" year for them?

Also, I'm no longer hearing the "mew!" call of YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS. I
was hearing it through the middle part of last week, but now I'm not (I
didn't even pay attention to this call in past seasons, so thanks to
Donna Lusthoff for mentioning it; it seems to be the best evidence of
their continuing presence during August, after they stop their usual
commotion).

COMMON YELLOWTHROATS are still around, but numbers seem to be tailing
off even if I factor in the time of day of this walk (mid-day).

I heard one or two SWAINSON'S THRUSH contact calls from inside a
minuscule clump of hawthorns near the famed Sedge Wren/Harris's
Sparrow/American Tree Sparrow spot of two winters ago -- definitely
migration rather than breeding habitat!

P.S. Speaking of Fix's comments this morning, it never occurred to me
that all those Blackpoll Warblers that keep flying onto our windows
every morning would be of interest. 25 or 30 today, minus the ones that
the cats and caracaras got to first. Should I be sweeping up these these
birds to mail in to the Oregon Bird Records Committee? The Magnolia
Warblers too? ;)