[birding] Townsend's Warblers still on the move; Vaux's Swifts still staging

joel joel.geier at peak.org
Fri May 15 19:00:05 PDT 2009

Hi again Rich & All,

Lots of good sightings in there! About Vaux's Swifts, I'm learning that
a lot of people didn't know about their spring roosting behavior -- and
there is a lot for all of us to learn about this species yet!

Check out:

http://www.oregonbirds.org/vauxs_swift_survey.html

Nicole Nielsen-Pincus (copied here) is coordinating the survey of
roosting sites in Oregon. I know a few of you have been in touch with
her already about spring roosting sites in the mid-Valley, but the more
eyes the better! There's a real conservation angle here, since swifts
using spring roosts are more at risk of having the heating systems
turned on, than in fall. Maybe not in weather like today, but think back
to late April!

<snip>