[birding] Townsend's Warblers still on the move; Vaux's Swifts still staging

Rich Hoyer calliope at theriver.com
Fri May 15 18:34:25 PDT 2009

Hi All,

In the slightly-less-exciting category than the gnatcatcher, on a walk
with Rob and Eve Gill I found at least three TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS in
the oaks with other migrants at Oak Lawn Cemetery on Country Club Hill
shortly before noon today. There was also a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and
LAZULI BUNTING in the same area. On the boardwalk through the wetland
below was a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, probably a female.

Yesterday, Trent Seager and I had good numbers of migrants at the
northern end of Willamette Park (Crystal Springs Sports Fields),
including a HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and at least
two MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS. There was a female WOOD DUCK with 7
ducklings already on one of the ponds in the middle of the woods. A
pair of CHIPPING SPARROWS was acting territorial in the young pine-
cottonwood stands between the sports fields and the riparian forest.

And yesterday evening around 8:30 p.m. there was a vortex of 300-400
VAUX'S SWIFTS entering the Whiteside Theater chimney in downtown
Corvallis. I don't remember knowing that this phenomenon happened in
the spring.

Good Birding,

Rich
---