[birding] Coffin Butte this morning

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Feb 5 11:22:05 PST 2009

Hello folks,

This morning I walked over to & up Coffin Butte. The most interesting
things that I encountered were a flock of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS (4) foraging
in the lowermost quarry area, and the very fresh remains of a BOBCAT
kill just above the first bend in the trail, plus bits of rabbit fur
here and there along the trail further up. The upper part of the butte
was very quiet except for one incessantly calling, male DOWNY
WOODPECKER.

On the way home via Toketie Marsh, I saw no gulls today but did see a
WILSON'S SNIPE and heard another. Another flock of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS (6)
was foraging on the ground just east of the cottonwood plantings on the
south side of Coffin Butte Rd. Always nice to see those guys.

P.S. Nice to hear about the Pine Grosbeak on Mary's Peak. One of my most
vivid teen birding experiences was when a flock turned up in some
Austrian pines in our farm's shelterbelt back in Minnesota. They were
very approachable, which was a good thing since I didn't own a pair of
binoculars. Hopefully this bird will also be easy to view.